Tuesday, March 14, 2006

No Such Thing As A Bad Day's Fishing

A spur of the moment decision on Monday morning (sunshine sickness) resulted in my calling off work to go fishing at the Nock. As my friend and co worker El Barto so insightfully brought up later, it was bad for my karma to do so.
I got the boat to the ramp area, and was doing my usual (if you can can the second time ever 'usual') thing to prepare it for the water, ie: putting the seats in, mounting the fishfinders, putting my rods in etc. While I was doing this, two guys came over who were fishing off the docks when I first arrived and we started talking, somewhat distracting me from my task. They left, and I drove the down to the ramp, and backed it into the water to launch it. I got out of the truck and started towards the boat, and I heard a little burble, bubble, burble coming from the back of the boat. Needless to say, I had forgotten to put in the drain plug. I pulled out the boat, and emptied the smll amount of water that had gotten in, and made a mental note to put the drain plugs somewhere more noticeable next time.
Anyways, on the water it didnt get much better, hence the bad karma. The only piscine contact I had all day was right at the start. I cast my trusty crappie crankbait into a brushpile, and as I was wearing my polarized oakleys, I could see a decent fish go for the bait. well, I was eager beaver and set the hook too early, and ended up hooking a nice twigfish. Then the wind picked up. I'm still not too proficient at boat control using the trolling motor, and so half my attention was on that, and half on my casting. My first mishap I cast the crappie crankbait into some brush in about 1 foot of water. So, of course having forgotten my boat hook at home (more bad karma) having used it to reach for the bungee cords under my boat to tie down the sexy new boat cover, I had to use my net to pole over to the sticker bush and extract the lure from the middle of it. A few prickles later and some swearing, I was back to fishing. I move to another area, I cast, my lure again goes into some trees. I pull on it to get it back/out. I comes back at 80 mph, misses my head by about 4 feet, and the ensuing trail of sufix braided fishing line proceeds to get wound around me, another rod I had sitting on the deck, the console, and the reel on the rod I was using. I take a minute to look up from the untangling, and the wind had pushed the boat so that the trolling motor was pulling me straight to shore, and the shore was fast approaching. I drop the rod and line, and hit the foot control of the motor to turn, so the boat started doing circles in the middle of this cove. Also, the lure was still in the water, and I had to practically dive to pull it out before it and the line got wound around the trolling motor. Needless to say, I was frustrated and pissed, and the wind wasnt helping matters. A couple of more episodes like that followed, and after 6 hours of fruitless fishing, I gave it up, and headed in. As bad as it all sounds, I still wouldn't trade a day like that on the water for a good day at work anyday. (no offence to Team Kennedy and co-workers.)
(Above image of a Ictalurus punctatus captured in 2005 at Lake Galena by the Supreme Overlord)

1 comment:

Bart said...

I think I was laughing as much reading this as when you told us the story at work! LOL