Monday, March 27, 2006

Initial Thoughts Upon the F.U.C.K.ing New Boat


I've been out about 3 times so far, twice to the Nock and once to Towhee. The catch rate hasnt been to phenomenal as of yet, but it's still early in the season, the water temps are cold, but warming slowly but surely, and the fish will be starting to become more active as they do. As for the F.U.C.K.ing boat itself, everything runs as it should, I think in the somewhat distant but near future, I will switch to a trolling motor with autopilot, as it woold give me more of my attention to fishing, than to maneouvering the boat to keep it in a straight line, especially in the wind. The console is a great option, but it's drawback is that there is less deckspace, and when I have all my stuff on board, it seems to get a little tight on space, with the pfd's, the net, the boat hook, the anchor, spare clothes, lunch kit with my water and snacks (prevents dehydration and keeps me in my obvious tip top physical state), whatever tackle boxes I have on deck etc etc. And having 5 or 6 rods close at hand doesnt make the space situation any easier to deal with. Why 5 or 6 rods you ask? You can only use them one at a time you say? Well, each rod has its own particular purpose. A crankbait rod, a spinnerbait/topwater rod, a senko/worm rod, a dropshot rod, a jig rod, an ultralight rod for crappie and perch, and when I'm on the Nock, and a striper rod, on the chance that I see them feeding actively. All are rigged with my choice of lures for the day. So when I need it, I can just pick i tup, instead of re rigging or re tying. I'm sure over time, I'll figure out a good system for everything, but until then, it's just trial and error until they find their spots. I also have to really make an effort to remember my pee cup, it would make that part of on the water time much easier, much easierthan leaning overboard, trying to keep your balance so as to avoid taking a premature soaking in both human AND fish wee wee.

1 comment:

Bart said...

"in the somewhat distant but near future"... is that like "warm but cool outside"? Also, I'm getting my plans together for that "Fisherman's Friend Pee Funnel"... Look for it soon in a Cabela's near you!